But AARP says pain and aging don't have to go hand in hand. The organization says it's important to see to your doctor to help figure out the cause of your pain, and to determine the best course of treatment.
AARP offers these general suggestions:
* Try to exercise regularly.
* Seek out counseling or support groups to help you deal with pain.
* Soothe pain with relaxation techniques, including meditation and massage.
* Rate your pain on a scale of one to 10 for your doctor, and keep a record of when you experience pain.
* Talk to your doctor about methods you use to control pain, including any medications and topical treatments.
* Pay attention to what makes your pain subside, and what seems to make pain worse.